Tuesday, April 2, 2013

This Song


I’m listening to this song - like an aroma that takes you back to an exact moment, this too, this song, takes me back to two exact moments. 

The first moment was actually the first time I heard this song. It was live. I was stunned and frozen. I was transported by the sounds, by the melody, by the words. I was taken, yet I couldn’t move. It was haunting.  

The second moment was when this song was replayed for a group of people we were newly connected with. We were asked to bring a song that was important to us at that moment in life. My husband picked the song. I wasn’t in a place to care to pick. 

The thing is that there was this underlying, silent devastating pain in both of those moments.  We were experiencing horrific betrayal, disappointment, hurt, pain. Pain. Pain. Pain. 
Yet, the song proclaims, “Love’s our only hope.”  

Both of those moments as foggy as they seemed to be, were each followed by a quick but powerful gust. The same night I heard that song for the first time, we were extended love and hope in a gesture by a struggling band offering us the cash they made from their merch sales that night. We were betrayed by people who were closer than family, yet this gesture showed us we still had real friends who really cared. To this day, I cannot comprehend how massive that was. How much love and hope they offered us, not in cash dollars, but in real kindness and love. 

And that second moment, with the people who asked us to bring in a song? They didn’t know us well, but they invited us in when we had been shut out. They gave us love and support and offered us a hope we thought could never be restored. They listened. They spoke massive words of wisdom to us. 

So my two exact moments perhaps are four. A counterbalance of pain and hope all wrapped up in this song. I needed to hear this song today. I needed to be reminded that Love is my only hope. My world is a bit of a tumultuous sea right now. I know I’m not the only one in a storm. I know we all must endure the weather. I am just glad I can be lifted off the waves, even if it is for a brief moment, in the memories of a song. 



Today I asked myself a question, asked myself a question
Why am I different from anyone else anyone else in the world?
'Cause if I can lie, then I can kill 
Am I willing to die for what is real?
‘Cause I’d like to think that there is a chance for change in this world 
And if I am the problem, what’s the solution? 
Can anybody tell me that? 

Yesterday, I said I’d make a difference, said I’d make a difference
But today I got lost in the shuffle, lost all the purpose I had
And if I don't try then do I really care?
Do I believe there’s something greater out there?
‘Cause I’d like to think that there is a chance for change in this world 
And if I am the problem then what’s the solution? 
Can anybody tell me that?

And if I can lie, then I can kill 
Am I willing to die for what is real?
‘Cause I’d like to think that there is a chance for change in this world
And if I am the problem, you’re the solution
Love’s our only hope
-Arkeo, “Love’s Our Only Hope”

2 comments:

  1. Lovely testimony. Interesting lyrics. It reminds me of how far the ripples from a pebble toss in a pool of water can travel on and on, and back and forth, seemingly endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nick. I agree. Sometimes we have no idea where those ripples originate or can fathom how far they go.

      Delete